Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Some Reading Lessons Please!!!

So this day started quite well. The padawan, the 'boss' the everyone decided to leave me alone, so I have had a good morning...and then the phone rang...

Yes, that old annoying thing came and spoiled my day brilliantly - as per usual and right on schedule.

{Phone rings}
[me] - {answers} BOFH speaking, how can I help you?
[voice on the line] - Hi, I cannot log into the intranet, and I tried all my passwords.
[me] - Have you tried the password that I gave you, the one on the little credit-card sized piece of paper, and the password with title "Intranet/TMS Password" as was indicated you should use ON the Intranet page?
[voice on the line] - No, I thought I should use my Internet password. It's what I have been using all the time?
*bzzzt...POP*
[me] - Well, that's nice, but tell me why I would have given you the password on a handy little card, and tell you on a page which password you should use to log in if I wouldn't set it up that way?
[voice on the line] - Uhm....
[me] - That's nice, now please leave me alone...
{puts down the phone and pop over to the blog}

I don't know about the rest of the population, but when *I* need to use something, I READ what I should do, especially if I don't manage on my own...

But now, A little laughter from a fellow BOFH:
Attempt to get an email password from a helpdesk tech:

[Tech] - "Hello"
[Me] - "Hi! This is [name] from [company], I'm calling in regards to [email address]. Could you please reset the password?"
[Tech] - "You would need to submit such a request in writing."
[Me] - "Oh really? that's a shame, I'm trying to setup Outlook. What is the current password?"
[Tech] - "I can give you that, but first I need to ask some questions for security"
[Me] - "Go ahead" *opens a webbrowser*
[Tech] - "What is the address of [company]?"
[Me] - *yellowpages.co.za* "It is [address]"
[Tech] - "And the phone number?"
[Me] - *clicks* "It is [number]"
[Tech] - "Thank you, the password is [password]"
[Me] - "Thanks! Bye"
-- The End --

How's THAT for some impressive security. I bet no one could think of something like that...Honestly - some people just shouldn't be anywhere NEAR a computer, or worse - any kind of administration interface...

No comments:

Post a Comment